Disney+, the company’s brand new streaming service, launched on November 12th. Despite its technical problems for some users on release day, it has surpassed over 10 million signups since Tuesday. I had been waiting for this day ever since I first heard the announcement of the new app, and as more programs were being announced—especially at the company’s convention D23—I was only getting more and more excited. I immediately purchased my monthly subscription the second it was available to the public a few months ago. Then as the weeks progressed, they started announcing all the different movies and shows that were coming to the platform, I was starting to lose my god damn mind.
Really, it’s so overwhelming to pick what to watch first. I own A LOT of Disney/Marvel movies on DVD, but there still are some that I never got my hands on or just never saw as a kid. It’s so great that they are all getting released from the Disney vault. I happened to be sick on release day and couldn’t concentrate long enough to figure out something meaningful to watch, so I put on The Lion King and zoned out on the couch. When I did feel a little better I watched some DuckTales. I’m going to go through and add a bunch of stuff to my watchlist. Here’s what I’m most excited for:
- Disney Channel shows – all the old classics from when I was growing up: That’s so Raven, Lizzie McGuire, Boy Meets World, Smart Guy, Recess
- Speaking of Lizzie McGuire, they are rebooting the show! Hillary Duff has started filming for the brand new original show and I can’t wait!
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series – this mockumentary style show is already getting a lot of positive attention. I’ve watched the first episode and it was actually hilarious. I’m a big HSM fan and this take on the original movie is so meta and fun.
- Disney Channel Original Movies – I was growing up during the best time for the Disney Channel and a lot of that was because of DCOMs. Anyone else dreamed of having their own Smart House when they were younger?
- ALL THE DISNEY ANIMATED MOVIES! – I’ll finally get to see lesser known films like Fun and Fancy Free and The Rescuers Down Under plus all the many sequels (some great, some not so much)
- Documentaries – The Imagineering Story and Decorating Disney: Holiday Magic are already waiting in my queue. I love docs about the parks!
- MARVEL – All Marvel, all the time. While not only having the already established large catalogue at the ready, the company is also producing a lot of original content for the platform, including Three live-action shows following Loki, the Scarlet Witch, Vision, Falcon, and Bucky Barnes.
If you couldn’t tell, I’m a bit excited. Plus the service is only $6.99—a bargain! Anyone else just as pumped as I am? I hope to discover some hidden gems and new favorites, and hey, maybe I’ll finally watch Star Wars…